With summer well and truly on its way, it’s prime time for walking dates with the girls. We love summer walks because they’re the perfect excuse for a catch-up with girlfriends, they get you outside taking in Sydney’s gorgeous coastline and can lend themselves to a quick dip in the ocean or even a post-walk brunch (shh…). Whether you and your besties are fitness chicks or just love getting out and about in the sunshine, we thought we’d give you a little seasonal walking inspo. Here’s our top 5 picks!
1. SPIT TO MANLY WALK
Location: Seaforth/Balgowlah/Manly, Northern Beaches
Distance: 10km one way
For such a beautiful walk, this track is largely unknown so we’d definitely encourage you to check it out! Starting at the base of the Spit Bridge, this walk wanders through bushland, petering around pristine beaches, historic lighthouses and rock pools before making its way to Manly Wharf. Throughout the walk, you can also dart off to historic abandoned squatter’s huts and scenic lookouts, making it a great exploration for those unfamiliar to the area. We suggest stopping at Reef Beach or Castle Rock Beach (pictured) for a swim en route’ and finishing the walk with a bite to eat in Manly.
Photo cred: @kingsleylooker
2. BARRENJOEY HEADLAND WALK
Location: Palm Beach, Northern Beaches
Distance: 1.5-2km return
Ok, so we know you might have heard of this one, but we couldn’t NOT include it because it’s definitely one of our faves! You might know this walk by the iconic photo of Palm Beach and Pittwater separated by a narrow strip of sand (pictured) – a view you see from the top of the headland. This walk is a short one but a steep one, especially if you take the Smuggler’s Track (the steeper of two options for the walk) however promises some stunning views. From the top of Barrenjoey Headland, you can look out over beautiful Palm Beach or to the Central Coast and striking Lion Island. We recommend taking a small picnic up with you to snack on whilst you take in the sights and of course a dip at Palm Beach on the way back!
Photo cred: @alicecheung
3. HERMITAGE TRAIL
Location: Vaucluse, Eastern Suburbs
Distance: 2km one way
So we’ve covered two great ocean-view walks but for those of you who love breathtaking views of the harbour, we’d have to recommend the Hermitage Trail in Vaucluse. This scenic walking track begins at The Hermitage Foreshore Reserve before trailing along the seashore to Shark Point. Along the way, you’ll have views stretching past Shark Island to the CBD skyline and be offered a number of stunning swimming and picnic spots. For those Instagrammers among you, we’d have to suggest stopping at Hermit Bay (pictured) for a beautiful harbour-side shot!
Photo cred: Best Sydney Walks
4. BONDI TO CLOVELLY WALK
Location: Bondi/Bronte/Clovelly, Eastern Suburbs
Distance: 4km one way
We know this is another iconic one but, again, the views are so spectacular that we can’t help BUT include it! We also don’t think you can ever get sick of walking this stretch of coastline so here’s a reminder to get out there this summer! The walk from Bondi to Clovelly hugs the cliff, running around Tamarama Beach and Bronte Beach en route’. This means you’ve got the choice of four beautiful beaches – Bondi, Tamarama, Bronte and Clovelly – to take a dip at on this walk. As you may know, there is no shortage of great cafes in this area so its also a great pick for girls looking to follow up the walk with a coffee date or brunch. For those of you looking to walk a little further, there’s also the option to keep walking around to Coogee or Maroubra, both great beach options as well!
Photo cred: Iris on the Road
5. MANLY TO SHELLY BEACH WALK
Location: Manly, Northern Beaches
Distance: 2km one way
The final walk we’d have to recommend is the Manly to Shelly Beach Walk, a beautiful stroll with expansive ocean views. Beginning at Manly Beach, this walk traces around rock pools, snorkelling sites and an iconic ocean pool before arriving at the sheltered Shelly Beach (pictured). The perfect spot for a swim or snorkel, here you can dive into crystal clear waters, perhaps even seeing some of the area’s beautiful sea life if you choose to swim out a little further. There’s also the chance for a coffee or bite to eat at the well-known Boat House Café, conveniently placed at the end of the track. We’d strongly advise bringing swimmers on this one as the water is very tempting!
Photo cred: @yuehoo555
That’s it for our top 5! We hope all of you have the chance to tick off at least one of these walks with your girlfriends this summer. Of course, please tag us if you do, as we’d love to see you making beautiful memories.
Happy December ladies!
Your getaway lover,
- Dec 1, 2017 Top 5 Sydney Walks to do with the Girls this Summer Dec 1, 2017
- Aug 8, 2017 Should your wardrobe be different now you're 50? Aug 8, 2017
- Jul 30, 2017 GG Team Member, Jesse, takes on South Coast Serenity Jul 30, 2017
- Apr 30, 2017 Saying Namaste on Your Wedding Day Apr 30, 2017
- November 2016
- Oct 7, 2016 Top 5 Cocktail Spots In Sydney For Drinks With The Girls Oct 7, 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 14, 2016 5 Ways to Show Your Girlfriends You Care Jun 14, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Our Mother's Day Gift Guide May 3, 2016
- Mar 7, 2016 Top 5 Airbnb Places You Need to Experience Mar 7, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 Why You Should Pamper Yourself This Weekend Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 A Quick Research Trip to Byron Bay - I love my job! Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 8, 2016 Are you a City Girl or a Country Girl? Feb 8, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Has your child just finished school? Why isn’t there a Schoolies for parents?! Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Taking Time Out For Yourself in 2016 Jan 25, 2016
- December 2015
- Nov 30, 2015 My Favourite Books for a Girly Read Nov 30, 2015
- Nov 23, 2015 Girls Getaways living the Italian dream! Nov 23, 2015
- Nov 16, 2015 Reaching out to your friends in times of grief Nov 16, 2015
- Nov 9, 2015 6 Gift Ideas for Girls in Need Nov 9, 2015
- Nov 2, 2015 Melbourne Cup: the best excuse for a girly day out! Nov 2, 2015
- Oct 26, 2015 Wanderlust destinations around the world! Oct 26, 2015
- Oct 19, 2015 Introducing Jo: the newest member of the Girls Getaways team Oct 19, 2015
- Oct 2, 2015 Mental Health Week Australia: 5 Ways to Nurture Your Mind Oct 2, 2015
- Aug 20, 2015 NYC - we're coming for you! + 5 girly things to do in the Big Apple Aug 20, 2015
- July 2015
- Jun 25, 2015 My latest adventure – a Bali Girls Getaways trip Jun 25, 2015
- Jun 17, 2015 I still spend time with my Mother’s Group – here’s why Jun 17, 2015
- Jun 10, 2015 Australia’s best spa-day packages Jun 10, 2015
- Jun 1, 2015 We are all inspirational – in support of mums everywhere Jun 1, 2015
- May 24, 2015 A bag for every occasion – our new Girls Getaways tote May 24, 2015
- April 2015
- February 2015
- Dec 5, 2014 Bali Blast 2015 Dec 5, 2014
- November 2014
- Oct 23, 2014 A new fresh look....it's exciting. Oct 23, 2014